Castor Oil “Back to the Grind” Challenge
Challenge begins: August 15, 2013
Challenge ends: November 15, 2013
Winner announced: November 20, 2013
REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED BUT YOU CAN PARTICIPATE WITHOUT COMPETING FOR THE GRAND PRIZE
Summer is almost over, which means heading back to school and really buckling down at the J.O.B. The warm lazy weekends will soon be coming to an end, replaced by the hustle and bustle of the holiday season. We want to help you get ready so that when its time for holiday parties in December, your natural hair will be absolutely fabulous!
With the holidays in mind, the goal of this program is to provide encouragement and support to the participants in their goal for healthier, longer, more abundant hair by December 1st; we’ll be using castor oil to achieve those goals.
Castor oil has been proven to generate new hair growth, thicken thinning hair, soften and strengthen the hair, seal dry ends and support length retention, and support moisture retention in dry, porous hair. Castor oil’s anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties help resolve scalp infections which are reported to be the direct cause of hair loss and slow hair growth in many women.
Whether you regularly use castor oil now, have never tried it, or use it on a hit and miss basis, you can participate by committing to use castor oil consistently for the next 90 days as part of your natural hair care program.
What Are the Benefits of Castor Oil for Natural Hair Growth?
Using castor oil regularly on your hair’s roots and scalp will help:
- Increase hair growth
- Thicken hair that is starting to thin out
- Encourage regrowth of hairline
- Reduce and prevent hair damage
- Eliminate dry hair
- Make the hair fuller and shinier
- Deeply condition and moisturize hair and scalp
- Prevents dry scalp and dandruff
- Boost your hair’s overall health
- Applying castor oil to the ends (tips) of your hair will also prevent your hair from looking frizzy and having split ends and damage. You will also notice that your hair is stronger and won’t develop split ends that easily anymore. Source
How Do I Participate in the “Back to the Grind” Castor Oil Challenge?
1. You may use any castor oil of your choosing, but it must be 100% castor oil with no other additives, salt or preservatives. We recommend Simply Organics Jamaican Black Castor oil, which is the brand we personally use (the company has graciously offered a 20% discount for all participants – click image at left to order)
2. Apply castor oil a minimum of three times per week, but depending upon how quickly your hair absorbs the oil, you can apply as often as every night.
3. If straight castor oil causes a reaction with your scalp, you may dilute the castor oil with a carrier oil such as avocado oil. If you are using JBCO (Jamaican Black Castor Oil), often a switch to plain castor oil alleviates negative reactions such as scalp soreness and itching.
4. Registrants may be natural, relaxed, loc’d, in braids, wearing a protective style, or wearing a wig or a weave. Doesn’t matter, as long as your style permits access to your scalp for the requisite 3x per week (minimum) use of castor oil.
5. You must commit to the weekly “check in” and do so a minimum of 10x during the course of the challenge. If you don’t make the minimum, you can still participate in the challenge, but you will be ineligible for the grand prize(!)
6. Every 4 weeks (3x) all competing registrants are required to report any changes (which are hopefully improvements) in your hair and hair growth. Posting an update photo is strongly suggested but not required.
7. Co-wash as needed, but shampoo no more than once per week.
8. Every competing registrant is required to upload at least one START and one END photo which clearly shows their hair length to the website to be eligible to win. No exceptions.
9. No other topical growth aids of any kind can be used during the 90 days of the castor oil challenge if you plan to participate as a competitor for the grand prize. This means no liquid hair vitamins, hair growth serums or scalp creams.
10. Official registration for the challenge is open now but closes at 8:00 pm (Pacific time) on Thursday, August 15th; your “Challenge Start” photos must be uploaded by that time. Remember, you must be officially registered and submit a “Challenge Start” photo which clearly shows your current hair length to compete for the grand prize.
What is the Grand Prize?
A product junky’s dream! The grand prize winner of the Back to the Grind castor oil challenge will receive a $25.00 Visa Gift Card PLUS a selection of natural hair, skin and beauty products valued at $50 minimum! So you’ll get free products and free shopping for even more stuff on us. Sorry, only U.S. residents aged 18 and over are eligible to win, though anyone can participate in the challenge.
Where Do I Register for the Castor Oil Challenge?
Right here in this post! It’s easy to sign up.
(1) First, make sure you are a registered member of this website. We need your screen name and email address (which will never be shared with anyone), to track the number of check-in posts you make during the castor oil challenge.
(2) Return to this page and create a comment – inputting the data you see below to complete the initial phase of your registration.
(3) You’ll have 48 hours beginning August 14th to upload AT LEAST ONE “Challenge Start” photo which clearly shows your current hair length, and complete the second phase of your registration (or you can do it all at once). Please size your picture so that it is no larger than 500 px in either direction. You can resize images online free and easily using ShrinkPictures, Web Resizer, or PhotoSize :
Brand You Will Use:
Mix With Carrier Oil or Use Straight?:
How Will You Apply Castor Oil?:
Long-Term Hair Length Goal:
Current Hair Length: Front_____ Side_______ Nape_______
Overall Goal for This Challenge:
Remember, Simply Organics Oils is offering all participants in the challenge 20% off on the castor oil of their choice with code YNH2013. Click here to order.
That’s it! Good luck! May the best head win!
Category: Castor Oil Challenge
About the Author (Author Profile)Blogger, writer, relationships/dating expert, fitness trainer and natural hair enthusiast since 1997. Sharing information from grandmomma, books and scientific journals, as well as my personal discoveries and experiences with natural hair as we journey from relaxers, flat irons and weaves together.
Comments from Facebook